Friday, October 07, 2005

Life Is A Beautiful Thing

Today I got to 'see' my baby for the first time! It was amazing.
I wondered if I'd be able to see it (Yes, 'it'. As of right now my baby is a fetus so I will refer to it as 'it' until sex is determinable) or if it would just look like oddly shaped grey matter inside darker oddly shaped grey matter.
When the nurse first started the sonogram I thought I saw it, but after she pointed it out to us it was actual much smaller. We watched it for a few seconds at a time while the nurse tried to get a good image up on the screen. Every once in a while it would wiggle around and you could really tell where the head was and where it was moving its arms. It was so cool. I just kept looking at Lindsey's stomach then up to the monitor, then back to her again. I couldn't believe that what we were witnessing was actually taking place inside of her at that momment. Life. Wow.
Linz is 11 weeks along tomorrow. At this point the baby's face has assumed a baby's profile, and muscle movements are becoming more coordinated. (Which is what we were seeing!) It's about 2 inches long and it's heart was measured beating at 167 bpm! (Time and a half faster than you or I!) You could see the heart beating on the monitor as well, it was a tiny little dot, just a few pixels rapidly flashing on and off. Fingerprints are evident in the skin and internally, everthing is present that will be found in a developed adult. The nurse also told us that soon the baby will recognise it's hand when it passes in front of it's face and even start to suck it's thumb in a couple of months. Right now it sees the hand as an imposter and doesn't like it, haha. I thought that was cute.
I scanned the images the nurse gave us so I'm posting them for you all. Click the photo to view full size. (The baby is inside the dark medium sized circle.) It's labeled so you should be able to tell what's what.
It was a great experience for us both and we are just so excited and are very appreciative the prayers going up. Thank you all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow..pictures of my grandchild! Too cool. I'm not sure, but I think the baby was saying hi mom and dad during one of the pictures. Did you see that? What about hi grandpop?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your little one! Go to the theater and out to eat as often as you can now!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Josh - can't wait to see you on your b day have a great week tell lindz mom and family miss and love ya