Friday, January 20, 2006

40 lbs Of Chicken

Yesterday while the wife and I were eating dinner we heard a knock on the window next to us. The blinds were open so whoever it was could see us but we couldn't really see them. Assuming only a friend would interrupt dinner and get our attention by knocking on the window, I went to the door. To my surprise it was a middle-aged black man who immediately started rambling about how he knew me cuz I cut the grass around here or something. I told him that wasn't me that he was thinking of so then he started telling me what he made me get up from eating with my wife for. His car ran out of gas down the street. Supposedly his wife and daughter were still in the car at this point and he was pointing down our street (towards a gas station) at nothing as there was no car with no family in sight. He went on to say a whole bunch of what I am now sure was lies. "I'm a good guy", "My wife's a good Christian, me I have a few beers but I'm alright", as well as some stories of how he was in the military or something. Then he told me he was just getting back on his feet and starting a new job a few minutes from here. He also said numerous times that he's not addicted to drugs of any kind he just wanted some help to get back home. He even offered me 40 lbs of chicken from the plant he worked at that he'd have to come back later and give me in exchange for the help.

...Right. So let me get this straight. You're in the military but you don't have any money. You're getting back on your feet from never having used drugs before. And your invisible car and imaginary family broke down and now I'm supposed to give you money because you threw yourself at my doorstep with this mess. So I asked him...So you're asking for cash. He never directly said yes or asked for money, he just kept saying he'd be back with all that chicken. I told him I don't carry cash and that there was a gas station in the direction he pointed. He did comment on my dogs though. He was afraid of dogs, especially big dogs. That did comfort me a little, so I decided to play that string a little. "Oh yeah, the big one is German and the other one is English. We train them and work with them every day, they can jump that fence if I give them the command to..."

After he realized he wasn't getting any cash out of me, he shut down pretty fast and mumbled, "You're still cool man, you're cool." and left. I watched him walk all 8 steps until a car pulled up to the stop sign at the corner and then he started giving the same act to them...also to no avail.

I hate beggars. If an honest person really broke down, they wouldn't have to battle their conscience and tell me that they don't do drugs and all that bull. Today I saw the same guy in different clothes walking down our street again. I don't know if he's homeless or what. Doesn't much matter to Jax. Doesn't much matter to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my imaginary family breaks down all the time. I think Ijust need some more hard drive space for them.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that happened to me when I was at schoola couple times. One night this guy was in my apartment parking lot, and he said, "Hey Im out of cash and I work at the Radio Shack down the street, I just need some money for gas to get home." I said that I was sorry and that I didnt have any money (which was a lie because I has just gotten off a double serving shift and actually had about $175 on me) but I was used to a lot of beggars around there. So he went on his way and I went inside. The next day at work, about 10 minutes away, the same guy came up to me in the parking lot at work and said, "Hey I work at the Target over there and I ran out of gas, do you have any change?" So I looked right at him and said, "Oh really? Wow you change jobs a lot, just last night you told me you worked at the Radio Shack, so if you work at Target too you should make plenty of money for gas." He just shook his head and said something to the effect of, "Alright I see how it is miss thing, dont wanna help a brother out." He then kept walking and asking people all the way down the strip. You really cant believe anyone, its unfortunate.

Anonymous said...

I would've shot him. I hate people like that with a passion.