Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Beautiful Today
(9/22/05)

Beautiful Today. The title suggests a day comprised of wonderful happy things making the past 24 hours a beautiful occasion. While this is certainly true for certain aspects of today, it wasn’t the case for the entire length of it. I’ll spare you the gory details and get to the good stuff fairly soon, so stay with me.

This morning I had more trouble with what I call “the little curly dogs” that from time to time are outside (loose) at the same time I take Jax and Sadie out (leashed). This time they both were leashed but they were on one of those long retractable cable leashes which apparently the lady had no knowledge of how to work, so the things might as well have just been loose. After fighting the dogs back and holding mine with what little strength I had in the wee hours of the morn’ I scramble to get ready on time for work.

At work there’s a note in my box that I’ve been waiting for concerning a day I asked off for Lindsey birthday. I’ve used my vacation days up for this year and I have some over time that I’d like to get comp for so I decided to ask off accordingly. I read the note and was not surprised at the response I got back. “Sure you can go, but it will be unpaid since you don’t have any vacation time left. Any Questions see me.” You have to understand that when I started here I was excited about working. Every day since then the management has proven via actions (contrary to words) that they couldn’t care less about their employees. So obviously I am no longer that excited about this place and have realized that I just cannot accept that as being ok. So I went to see “me” right away. We had a heated discussion that I don’t need to get into for both your sake and mine. I will say that I did not hold back anything. And that felt real good. She wanted to talk more about it when the owner got back to which I agreed, so we let it go for the time being.

Back in my office I am trying to make 3 deadlines happen by tomorrow while calling in to Ruby Tuesday for Lindsey who’s sick today still sleeping at home. Oh how I wish. I confronted the manager on the phone of rumors passed to me about call-offs being fired. He assured me they were false and that Lindsey being a great worker was in no trouble. I then called a few doctors in the area trying to find a good one that was taking new patients. She has been under the weather for a few weeks now and it’s starting to worry us both because she doesn’t usually get sick.

Lunch Time. Just took my first bite of ramen when I hear “Josh, come to my office, Josh (click).” Yes, the boss was back and what do ya know, he wanted to see me right away. I knew what was going to go down and I knew that it had to happen or we both were going to either implode or explode, both of which suck relationally speaking. Our meeting lasted for about 45 minutes. He talked most of the time, mostly about things that I still can’t find how they relate to my situation. I told him what I felt and tried to say why and I think that once it all settles, we may be getting somewhere in this whole mess…finally. Still looks like they’ll screw me concerning the overtime issue. Well that’s over, for now. After that I wasn’t afraid of standing up to anything. I felt great letting him finally feel the weight of who I am. Professionally of course. I had to make one last nerving call then it should start calming down…logically. Pffft. Josh, when will you learn that life doesn’t follow the logical path? I dunno.

The day is over. Breathe. Dan and Jon will be over soon to play some Halo 2 and that will be such a great way to end the day. How late is the beer store open? In conversation on the way home Lindsey and I decided to pick up a pregnancy test just in case that is why she has been feeling so bad. All the way there we talked ourselves into why this and that thing makes sense if she is indeed pregnant and at this point we really start to wonder. This would be really nice. Are we ready? Is anyone ever ready?
We’re Home now. Lindsey’s doing the test while I put away groceries. I come back to her and her eyes are watery. “I did it twice” she says. My eyes fall on the 2 pink lines glowing almost as much as she is. “What does two lines mean?! What is TWO lines?!!” I’m about to explode because I don’t know squat about tests. She nods her head with a look of overwhelming emotion upon her face. “We are? WE ARE!!” She keeps nodding, revealing what she is unable to speak. Many hugs, kisses and prayers later we exit the bathroom and suddenly my view of the world has changed. Halo night is no longer that exciting, at least not tonight. “Sorry fella’s but I’ve gotta call it off tonight, how bout next week?” We spent the night together with the TV in the background, just holding each other and talking about how our lives have just drastically changed. I guess the word in the English language that would best describe how I feel today is overjoyed. This whole day was pretty nuts but the way it turned out couldn’t have been better. Wow. We’re having a baby…. Which means I’m a dad…What a beautiful thing.

No comments: